Pinterest Bookmarklet for iPad

// March 18th, 2011 // Geekery, Internets

Frustratingly, there is no easy way to add a Javascript bookmarklet to your iPad, as I discovered today when using a new social site, Pinterest (great site by the way, I recommend it if you can score an invite). Like so many sharing sites, Pinterest utilises a bookmarklet to share things you like with others. Not everyone uses Safari or wants to sync their bookmarks with their iPad, the current Apple recommended method. There is a manual way to do it though!

Chris Bray has created a very useful page with manual bookmarklets for all the major sites, including Tumblr, Facebook, Google Reader and more. I’ve created this one for myself, for a Pinterest bookmarklet.

Instructions:
From Chris Bray:

1. Add this page as a bookmark
2. Select and copy the Javascript below to your clipboard.
3. Go to your bookmarks and edit the new bookmark. Edit the name and paste the Javascript in the field for the URL.
4. Done.

For more detailed instructions, check out Marco Arment’s step by step guide for adding the Instapaper bookmarklet to Safari for an iPhone, iPad, or an iPod Touch. You can use the same method here.

Bookmarklets:
Pinterest

Pinterest

Here’s a big image you can test your new bookmarklet with:

Test Image

I can’t imagine this can break your iPad, but use at your own risk.

91 Responses to “Pinterest Bookmarklet for iPad”

1. Leeann says:

I did it as told but now how do I pin the images? I don’t see an icon at top of browser like on my computer. I’m running their new operating system.

2. DawnK says:

I tried this, but when I click “pin it” at the end, it always tells me Pin Not Added. I don’t know why. Also, I don’t get the bar across the picture, like I did before. I think this hasn’t worked since iOS 5.

3. Diane says:

Works perfect on ipad2, 5.0.1. I have 4gs and can’t copy the text. :(

4. Kope's Girl says:

Worked perfect!!!! Thank you.

5. Cindy says:

What is an iPad clipboard?

6. kristi says:

This works great as long as I am using pinterest through the browser. Does not seem to work with the pinterest app itself.

7. mike says:

So I tried this and I get it all copied over but then there is errors in the script somehow. I get a error message about the site is unavailable. sometimes the image posts and sometimes it pins a broken link. What did I do wrong?

8. Dee says:

Thanks a bunch! Worked amazing, and instructions, piece of cake! Thanks again!

9. Cheryl says:

Can’t copy the text :(

10. Haley Weaver says:

It’s working for me…thanks for the post! Btw, I was a bit frustrated that I couldn’t copy/paste it on the iPad. Spent a TON of time copying the script 1 letter/symbol at a time only for it to be wrong. Then I got the grand idea to email it to myself & copy/paste from there. Not sure why I didn’t think of it sooner but maybe this will help someone else.

11. Juliana says:

This worked beautifully. Was able to copy and paste…very easy. Started pinning on my ipad! I was thrilled! That was two days ago…Today it won’t pin anything! :-(. I rebooted my iPad. Still nothing! What gives?

12. Bonnie gunelius says:

I was able to instal the pin it in safari on my iPod touch but I can’t get it to work on my iPad 2. What is a clipboard. It wont let me past anything when I go to edit the saved bookmark page. Help. I love the pin it button and really want it for my ipad

13. Bonnie gunelius says:

Okay so I don’t know why but it won’t let me select just the inside script of the box. When I tap it , it highlilights the whole box not the inside and when i copy it it is just the box with no script. Super frustrated. Please help. I want to used my pinterest on my new ipad2

14. Dave says:

For those with the copy issue… I had same problem.. I had to go to my pc and copy the text and saved it in my email as a Draft…. then I went to my web based email on the ipad, went into the draft email i created and was able to copoy and paste.. Just in case anyone needs to know to copy.. just hold 1 finger down on the area you want to start to copy and then arrows come up so you can drag either way to copy.. then hit the copy button.. do the reverse when you want to paste.. Hope this helps was a pain for me but got it done..

15. Wes says:

Hmmm. The code on this page copies as a graphic on this iPad, but I found it on the Pinterest site. The problem now is, when I post to the Bookmark Bar URL field, some characters (like quote marks, commas and this } thing) turn into codes (%7D). I am trying to change them manually, but, argh!

16. Wes says:

OK, some setting must be off on the iPad – even the edited symbols do not save; they convert to ASCII characters. Any ideas.

17. Penelope says:

For those having trouble copying the Javascript code above, I found another article — http://bit.ly/ufsxlP — that has the code and is easily copied from an iPad2.

18. Jen says:

Did not post image for the pin, then crashed Safari.

19. Lara says:

I have iPad 2 and am running iOS 5.02 and I am unable to generate the pin it bookmarklet on safari following these instructions. Can anyone help??!

20. Lydia says:

I was not able to select/copy/paste, so I rewrote the script character by character. Works great with one problem. When I use the bookmark let, it opens a new web page to pin and also open the pinterest app. I don’t need to pin twice and I imagine this will get frustrating. Is there any way to make this do just one or the other.

21. Amy says:

Thank you so much for this! I love pinterest and was getting very frustrated that I couldn’t pin anything off my iPad. This is awesome! And thanks for the comments about copying/pasting. I emailed the script to myself and copied off the email. Worked perfectly!

22. Jamie says:

So I copied & pasted to get the pin it button into my bookmarks bar. Worked perfectly that first night. The next day & everyday since that first night of the install it no longer works. It tells me that “safari cannot open this page because it’s invalid” although it still takes you to the pinterest page likes its going to pin it. As soon as I pic the image that I want it tells me that server is not responding. I want to be able to use the pinterest site but this is just beyond frustrating. Make me want to scrap my entire Pinterest account!!! Can someone please help. Is just me or is this an issue with Safari?

23. carsmom42610 says:

Wow! This worked awesome! Thanks so much. Much easier to do it this way than how Pinterest tells you too. Thanks

24. Ivyclark says:

Thank you very much for posting this. Unfortunately I couldn’t copy the javascript from here. But it was a great starting point for me.

Penelope, thanks for that link. Worked for me.

25. Emily says:

Thank you for this! Used it twice successfully.

26. Emily says:

I couldn’t copy and paste the code from my ipad from safari, but after emailing it to myself and copying from there it worked great. Thanks!

27. Jane Davis says:

I couldn’t copy and paste your URL either, but got the general idea how to do it. Went to the Pinterest website and copied the stuff there for the I-Phone (works on I-Pad too) and it does great! I saw a comment about getting an error message about something being pinned. I figured out that it would always pin for me if I put in a description of the pin. Thanks for your help…

28. Shannon Woodard says:

I have the app, but I can figure out how to bookmark. Can u help, please.

29. Madge says:

Help I got thru everything until I went to pin then I got the message could not pin

30. Ted says:

Can’t copy the text on my iPad 2

31. Sa'adatu says:

You’re the best I did it, Yay!

32. Tanya says:

I’m able to pin images with no problem….however-because I’ve gone overboard on the number of boards I have, sometimes I need to scroll down to get to the board I want to pin my image too……CAN’T SCROLL!!?? Can anyone help me? I’m a really new ipad user as of 2 weeks ago, and it’s very frustrating when I try to pin images but can’t scroll down in the ‘pin box.’ What scrolls instead is the bigger pinterest board itself….Help???!!!

33. buzzabud says:

It worked
    Thanks

34. Amy says:

Not the best instructions. I understood step 1 and 4. Step 2, have no clue what you mean by “clipboard”. Step 3 have no clue what you mean by “edit the new bookmark” , “edit the name”. Nothing I’m trying is working.

35. cathy says:

here is an easier to copy version of the javascript, works great on ipad 1.

javascript:void((function(){var%20e=document.createElement(‘script’);e.setAttribute(‘type’,'text/javascript’);e.setAttribute(‘charset’,'UTF-8′);e.setAttribute(‘src’,'http://passets-cdn.pinterest.com/js/pinmarklet.js?r=’+Math.random()*99999999);document.body.appendChild(e)})());

36. cathy says:

p.s.folks…clipboard is just the location of where something goes when you select it ..either to copy or paste or cut it from a sentence / paragraph/ website,etc. highlighting a word or paragraph and hiitting select or select all basically saves it onto an unseeable clipboard which you can then re paste anywhere…..you paste by putting your cursor where you want the info to go (i.e. a blank email or notepad) and hold down your finger, select paste and voila!!!! good luck and happy pinning! -penguinkat

37. John says:

If you have trouble with these instructions, try the ones at http://nali.org/ipad-pin-it-pinterest-bookmarklet-in-safari/. They include screenshots.

38. Claude Zakowski says:

Style and Sound doesn’t seem like this bedazzled decoration would be very durable.

39. Cindy says:

Here copy this:

javascript:void((function(){var%20e=document.createElement(‘script’); e.setAttribute(‘type’,'text/javascript’); e.setAttribute(‘charset’,'UTF-8′); e.setAttribute(‘src’,'http://assets.pinterest.com/js/pinmarklet.js?r=’+Math.random()*99999999);document.body.appendChild(e)})());

40. Stephanie says:

I get nothing! It does do anything but sit there like I never pressed anything.

41. Stephanie says:

DOESN’T!!! It doesn’t do anything but sit there…