Unappreciated Female Musical Geniuses

// November 10th, 2005 // Music, Obsessions

Right, back to the usual frivolity, and the exciting news that I got THREE great albums yesterday!

Firstly, of course, the new Kate Bush album, Aerial. I was greatly anticipating this as I’ve mentioned before, and it does not disappoint! Once again Kate has proven her utter originality and timeless musical brilliance. Favourite tracks so far are “Pi”, “Mrs Bartolozzi” (the infamous “washing machine” song and “Bertie” which is about her son and makes me cry! (Having sons of my own)

One of my naughty pleasures is the Russian “lesbian schoolgirl” band t.A.T.u. Their new album has been universally panned. But I love it. Something about their high pitched voices, intriguing Russian accents and frenzied techno pop just works for me. Plus they’re now doing a tortured bisexual angle on songs like “Loves Me Not”.

Finally I got an excellent Dolly Parton compilation, Mission Chapel Memories. It only covers Dolly tracks from 1971 to 1975, and includes classics like Jolene, as well as a host of brilliant obscure songs that really prove Dolly’s worth as a songwriter (again).

8 Responses to “Unappreciated Female Musical Geniuses”

1. acp says:

Great post and thanks for the preview tracks :)

Not really a Kate fan, but that is a nice track you uploaded.
    LOVE tATu !! Welcome back you commercially orientated grrls. xx

2. ren says:

yeah, Bertie makes me a little teary as well. I know if it was anyone else singing a song like that about their kid I would find it sooooo unbearable but because it’s Kate and you know she means it from the depths of her soul, I love it. Alot. I think Aerial (the song) is stunning and I really love the pi song – ‘and a complete infatuation with the calculation of pi’ = genius. I don’t think I’ve been as excited about an album for some time. Luckily, I am more than happy with what has been delivered!

3. org says:

we are on a total kate kick at the mo’ – grabbed a secondhand copy of “The whole story” video and everything. “Cloudbursting” with donald sutherland and her all dressed up as a little boy… then “Babushka”! holy hell she’s very much THE BOMB. and ps: still oh so jealous that you guys went to Dollywood…

Oh my god, I LOVE “the whole story” video. I was so annoyed when some “friend” borrowed my copy in the early 90′s and never returned it… I’ll have to get the DVD.

5. Karen says:

Oh no, Bertie was my favourite pick of names for the next spawned! Now it will look like I am just copying Kate Bush! Alas and alas again! What is a girl to do? I can’t be seen to be copying Kate Bush, this will have my reputation in tatters!

6. Karen says:

Thank you Em, I love that Dolly. I remain unconvinced however about Kate Bush’s ‘Bertie’. Don’t get me wrong I too was a teenage Kate fan, but this ‘Bertie’ seems a little overly dramatic and overly done, sorry Kate ya just don’t cut it for me anymore! Didn’t bring tears, just snorts I’m afraid!

Karen, please don’t give up on Kate till you’ve heard the whole album, it truly is a work of genius. I’ve been playing it all weekend! Current favourites are Sunset, Aerial and Pi.

8. Karen says:

Oh no, yet more sadness for me, as I have discovered that not only has Kate beaten me to the name Bertie for a child but we also share the same initials! (Thanks Noo Noo for pointing that out, albeit accidently) Am I destined to live in the shadow of Kate for the rest of my days? Oh woe is me! Well, it is all about me don’t ya know! ;-)